What are your entry requirements?

Unlike other schools, FTA does not ask you to complete a costly pre-entry assessment to enrol.

The requirements to enrol on a programme with FTA will vary according to the course. It's easiest to first explain the requirements for enrolling on an integrated programme. These are as follows:

  • Possess at least five GCSEs, to include Maths, English and Science (or equivalent), at grade 4 (C) or higher
  • Preferably two A levels or equivalent
  • Be aged 18 years or over
  • Have a valid EASA class 1 medical certificate.

Modular Training

The entry requirements for a modular course will differ according to on which phase of flight training you have completed already (or not). 

When training via the modular route at FTA, you would start with a Private Pilot's Licence (PPL), and our requirements for this are as follows:

Whilst you only need an EASA class two medical to embark on your PPL we advise attaining your Class one as this will be required if you want to become a commercial pilot. There are no academic requirements for the PPL because it is a recreational licence. From this point, your requirement for the next stage of your pilot training will be the course you have recently completed.

It is worth noting however that some airlines will have specific entry requirements relevant only to them. If you have an airline in mind, we advise visiting their recruitment pages or contacting them for what they request.

All the prerequisites for our modular courses are available on the course page, please check the relevant module for specific entry requirements.

To learn more about how you can complete your commercial pilot training via the modular route, click here.

English Language Requirements

In addition, all students are expected to have a good level of English language, writing and comprehension. Overseas students must have English language competence of Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference Languages (CEFR) or Level 4 of the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

More information for students from an EU or EEA country can be found here.